Tuesday, April 19, 2022

 

Brought up in the Classics

J.R.R. Tolkien, letter to Robert Murray (December 2, 1953):
Certainly I have not been nourished by English Literature, in which I do not suppose I am better read than you; for the simple reason that I have never found much there in which to rest my heart (or heart and head together). I was brought up in the Classics, and first discovered the sensation of literary pleasure in Homer. Also being a philologist, getting a large part of any aesthetic pleasure that I am capable of from the form of words (and especially from the fresh association of word-form with word-sense), I have always best enjoyed things in a foreign language, or one so remote as to feel like it (such as Anglo-Saxon).



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?