Friday, September 02, 2022

 

A Noodle, a Pigwidgeon, a Ninnyhammer

Logan Pearsall Smith, More Trivia (New York: Harcourt, Brace and Company, 1921), p. 13:
                                      EVASION

'What do you think of the International Situation?' asked that foreign Countess, with her foreign, fascinating smile.

Was she a Spy? I felt I must be careful.

'What do I think?' I evasively echoed; and then, carried away by the profound and melancholy interest of this question, 'Think?' I queried, 'do I ever really think? Is there anything inside my head but cotton-wool? How can I call myself a Thinker? What am I anyhow?' I pursued the sad inquiry: 'A noodle, a pigwidgeon, a ninnyhammer, a bubble on the wave, a leaf in the wind, Madame!'



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?