Friday, September 02, 2022

 

Ocular Revelations

John and Bogdana Carpenter, from "Conversation on Writing Poetry: An Interview with Zbigniew Herbert," Manhattan Review 3.2 (1984):
Q: When did you lose your faith in the reformability of the system? In 1949 with the beginning of Stalinism in Poland, or before 1956? After 1956? After 1968, 1970? When?

A: I have known this since September 20, 1939. When I came into contact with the Soviets in Lwów, as a boy. I cannot stop wondering at certain intellectuals. I had my revelations ab oculos. And not through Marx or Lenin. The city was changed within a few days into a concentration camp. This system attacks a European through smells and tastes; while I am a partisan of goodness and beauty, I don't have a model for the happiness of humanity. My advice is: compare the smell, the state of the street, people's eyes, as I did in 1939.
For ab oculos (an eyesore to a Latinist) read ad oculos.

Hat tip: Eric Thomson.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?