Wednesday, January 04, 2023

 

Love of Country

Jules Lemaître (1853-1914), Les Contemporains: études et portraits littéraires: Première série, 13e éd. (Paris: Société française d'imprimerie et de librairie, 1890), pp. 125-126 (my translation):
When I hear someone droning on about love of country, I remain cold, I jealously wrap my love within myself, to shield it from the rhetorical banalities which would make of it something false, empty, and commonplace. But when, in a familiar salon, I feel and recognize France in the congeniality of the conversation, in the toleration of manners, in I don't know what delicate generosity, in the grace of the women's faces; when I cross, in the setting sun, the harmonious and noble landscape of the Champs-Élysées; when I read some clever book by one of my fellow countrymen, in which I savor the latest refinements of our sensibility or of our thought; when I return to the provinces, to the family hearth, and after the elegance and irony of Paris I feel all around me the traditional virtues, the patience and the goodness of this race to which I belong; when I embrace, from some curve of the bank, the Loire spread out and blue like a lake, with its meadows, its poplars, its light-brown islands, its tufts of bluish osiers, its light sky, the softness spread in the air and, not far away, in this country beloved by our ancient kings, some château chiseled like a jewel which reminds me of the old France, what it has done and what it has been in the world: then I feel enraptured with an infinite tenderness for this maternal land where I have everywhere roots so fragile and so strong; I think that the fatherland is all that has made me what I am; it is my kinsfolk, my friends present and future; it is the countryside where I daydream, the boulevard where I chat; it is the artists whom I love, the beautiful books which I have read. The fatherland—I cannot imagine myself without it; the fatherland is myself entirely. And then I am a patriot in the manner of the Athenian who loved only his city and who did not want anyone to meddle with it, because the life of the city was intermingled for him with his own life.

Quand j'entends déclamer sur l'amour de la patrie, je reste froid, je renfonce mon amour en moi-même avec jalousie pour le dérober aux banalités de la rhétorique qui en feraient je ne sais quoi de faux, de vide et de convenu. Mais quand, dans un salon familier, je sens et reconnais la France à l'agrément de la conversation, à l'indulgence des mœurs, à je ne sais quelle générosité légère, à la grâce des visages féminins; quand je traverse, au soleil couchant, l'harmonieux et noble paysage des Champs-Élysées; quand je lis quelque livre subtil d'un de mes compatriotes, où je savoure les plus récents raffinements de notre sensibilité ou de notre pensée; quand je retourne en province, au foyer de famille, et qu'après les élégances et l'ironie de Paris je sens tout autour de moi les vertus héritées, la patience et la bonté de cette race dont je suis; quand j'embrasse, de quelque courbe de la rive, la Loire étalée et bleue comme un lac, avec ses prairies, ses peupliers, ses îlots blonds, ses touffes d’osiers bleuâtres, son ciel léger, la douceur épandue dans l'air et, non loin, dans ce pays aimé de nos anciens rois, quelque château ciselé comme un bijou qui me rappelle la vieille France, ce qu'elle a fait et ce qu'elle a été dans le monde: alors je me sens pris d'une infinie tendresse pour cette terre maternelle où j’ai partout des racines si délicates et si fortes; je songe que la patrie, c'est tout ce qui m'a fait ce que je suis; ce sont mes parents, mes amis d'à présent et tous mes amis possibles; c'est la campagne où je rêve, le boulevard où je cause; ce sont les artistes que j'aime, les beaux livres que j'ai lus. La patrie, je ne me conçois pas sans elle; la patrie, c'est moi-même au complet. Et je suis alors patriote à la façon de l’Athénien qui n'aimait que sa ville et qui ne voulait pas qu'on y touchât parce que la vie de la cité se confondait pour lui avec la sienne.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?